Lewis B. Hershey was born on September 12, 1893, in his parents' home on their farm near Angola, Indiana, that is located in Steuben County, which is nestled in the extreme northeastern part of the Hoosier state. It is bound on the north by Michigan and on the east by Ohio. The General declared humorously, "If Michigan had taken four miles off of Indiana like they did from Ohio. I would have been born in Michigan."
The second and younger son of Latta Freleigh and Rosetta (Richardson) Hershey and grandson of George R. and Joanna Latta (Freleigh) Hershey and Lewis and Frances (Hutchins) Richardson, his Swiss ancestors migrated to the United States in 1709, settling near Lancaster, Pennsylvania. "In our day, the 'horse-poor farmer eked out a meager, but substantial living on an austerity type budget. Laboring in a 12-15 hour working day, which started before dawn and lasted until long after dusk, seven days a week. This was the kind of work schedule the farmer and his family endured in our day."
In addition to the farmhouse, barn and smokehouse, the Hershey homestead comprised some 140 acres of land of which less than 100 were actually farmed. Forty acres contained marshland, timber and two lakes. Another six acres located on steep slopes made this ground untenable.
Before the age of ten, young Lewis had already learned the expressions "gee" and "haw" (horse language for right and left). He was plowing, mowing, raking, harrowing, and cultivating the fields, and he was driving the horse team with the dexterity of an adult.
The General declared that two distinctive characteristics typified the people of Steuben County around the turn of the century. "First," he said, "we all believed in work-hard work and long working hours. Second, we learned early in life how important it is to rely on a person's word. We would never take a man's note if you couldn't trust his word. We took oufrneighbor's word at face value, because we knew his background and we believed there was validity to his word." General Hershey married his childhood sweetheart, Ellen Dygert of Angola, on Thanksgiving Day, November 29, 1917, in Jackson, Mississippi, while he was stationed at Camp Shelby.
The reason their marriage was not announced publicly was that she was nursing at the Cook County Hospital in Chicago, Illinois. The release of this information would have put her status in jeopardy, since their marriage was forbidden during this phase of her training.
The daughter of George and Emily Dygert, Mrs. Hershey was born on September 7, 1982. She attended Angola High School and Tri-State College.
In response to inquiry about the general's choice of following a military career, Mrs. Hershey said: "I'd been in the Philippines where my uncle was Vice Governor General, and I'd met the Army out there. I was enchanted with the Army life... and I wanted my husband to stay in the service. So that's what Lewis did and we've never regretted it."
Mrs. Hershey lived in the Philippines with her uncle the Honorable Newton W. Gilbert, from September 1913 until July 1914. While there, she taught first grade pupils in the Bishop Charles Henry Episcopal School for Girls.
Reentering Tri-State College in September 1911, General Hershey became a member of the "LITS"" (Literary) baseball team intramural squad and continued as an active player until 1914. He also played varsity basketball at Tri-State during the 1911-1912 and 1913-1914 seasons.
While attending college, the enterprising student "doubled" as Deputy Sheriff from January 1, 1913, through December 31, 1916, serving under his father who was Sheriff of Steuben County at that time.
Frequently called from the classroom to assist his father at the courthouse or jail with law- enforcement matters, the young college student used his good office to settle family squabbles whenever possible, without resorting to his duly authorized power to arrest.
On the subject of some of the different types of infractions the peaceful citizens of Steuben County became involved with the law, the General replied modestly: "such things as stealing chickens, breaking seals on freight cars to retrieve the beer inside, public intoxication, fights, brawls, insane people going berserk, and general nuisances and disturbances. There were no murders," he attested.
The Hoosier educator was graduated from Tri-State College with the Degree of Bachelor of Science on August 28, 1912, and continued his studies at this institution until August 26, 1914, at which time he was awarded the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Pedagogy degrees.
A trustee of Tri- State College since January 1, 1950, General Hershey was honored earlier by his alma mater with the receipt of an honorary degree Doctor of Laws-on June 12, 1942. This same honorary degree has also been conferred upon him by Ohio State University, Oglethorpe University, Albright College, Lafayette College, Columbia University, Norwich University, and Indiana University.
In September 1914, the youthful teacher assumed his first administrative post, having been appointed Principal of Flint High School in Steuben County. He remained in this administrative position for' two years during the 1914-1915 and 1915-1916 school terms.
When he was principal at Flint High School he received a salary of $75 a month the General disclosed. He taught as well as he administered, and in those days he really did more teaching than administering.
General Hershey's memorabilia and historical documents are housed permanently in this beautiful edifice as a fitting tribute to" Tri-State's famous and loyal alumnus and in recognition of the Hoosier's long and dedicated life of public service.
Awarded the Distinguished Service Medal of Indiana on May 2, 1961, General Hershey continued to hold strong ties with his native state as he maintained his voting residence in
Angola. Additionally, he was a member of North Eastern Lodge No. 210, F. & A.M. (Fremont) since April 12, 1916; honorary life member of the Angola Rotary Club since July 20, 1940; life member of the Lee Cassel Post No. 257 of the American Legion (Fremont) since November 1, 1940; and life member of the Angola Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 7205 since April 24, 1961. Ordered to active duty as a First Lieutenant, Infantry, with Company "B", 1st Battalion, 3rd Infantry, Indiana National Guard, on June 19, 1916, his unit had been called the day before and was federalized for service along the United States-Mexican border.
Released from federal service in late December 1916, he entered the University of Indiana at Bloomington on February 1, 1917, to continue his graduate studies. Once again his education was interrupted when he returned to his military unit as Adjutant of the 1st Battalion on April 6, 1917, to assist in its preparation for impending call to active duty.
In his youth, then, General Hershey was successfully, and often simultaneously, engaged in such diversified occupations or avocations as farmhand, college student, country school teacher, high school principal, deputy sheriff, private and later an officer in the Indiana National Guard, and an officer in the World War I American Expeditionary Forces.
Although he thoroughly enjoyed his early training and experiences as a schoolteacher and administrator, it appears that destiny held something even more challenging for the versatile Hoosier, completely different from the rewarding career of a professional educator.
If one were to peruse the military "201 file" records of Lieutenant General Lewis Blaine Hershey Army Serial Number 0-6530, Social Security Number 579-52-4352, Blood Type "A"-he would find also that the seventy-six-year-old General had a ruddy complexion, gray hair (with military crew cut), weighed 215 pounds, and stood six feet tall.
The military records do not tell the complete story, however, of the sparkling life and distinguished career of Indiana's native son, who enjoyed the distinction of being the oldest and ranking Lieutenant General on active duty in the Armed Forces.
The Hoosier farm boy began his military career by enlisting as a private in the Indiana National Guard on February 16, 1911, before he was eighteen because he wanted to go to Indianapolis "where the Guard trained every summer."
Assigned to Company "B", 1st Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, he was promoted to Corporal on June 10, 1912; earned the rank of Sergeant on May 28, 1913; and was elected Second Lieutenant of Company "B" on June 17, 1913.
The story is told that the young Lewis, who arrived at the armory one evening for a scheduled Guard drill, was soaked and wet from a severe thunderstorm, his shoes covered with mud from wading through the pools of water on the rain-drenched dirt road leading into Angola, Indiana, from the Hershey's country farm. .,.
'His commanding officer asked the youthful guardsman why he hadn't ridden his horse into town instead of walking through the rain. Showing he had already developed a sense of humor, the future general is reported to have answered, "Do you think I'd take my horse out in this kind of weather?"
Extremely conscientious about attending Guard drills and never late, the twenty-two-year-old citizen-soldier received his promotion to First Lieutenant on February 9, 1916. On June 19 of the same year, he was ordered to active duty with his unit Company "B" of the 1st Battalion, 3rd Infantry, Indiana National Guard-the unit having been called the day before and federalized for service along the United States-Mexican border to halt the tantalizing raids of Pancho Villa into this country. Serving with Company "B" at Camp Llano Grande, Mercedes, Texas, until this unit was mustered out of federal service at Ft. Benjamin Harrison, Indiana, on December 29, 1916, he served as a member of the Indiana National Guard until August 4, 1917.
Transferred subsequently to Headquarters, 1st Battalion, 3rd infantry, he was appointed Acting Adjutant of this National Guard unit on January 2, 1917. Although he had entered the University of Indiana at Bloomington to continue his graduate studies on February 1, 1917, he was summoned once again to his military station on April 6, 1917, to assist in preparing the 1st Battalion for call to active duty as a result of the United States' entry into World War 1.
Appointed Adjutant of the 1st Battalion on August 24, 1917, he was recalled to active duty and federalized with this unit at Ft. Benjamin Harrison. On October 1, 1917, the entire regiment, the 3rd Infantry, was reorganized and redesignated as the 137th Field Artillery, 38th Division, National Guard of the United States, reporting to Camp Shelby, Mississippi. .
Assigned as First Lieutenant, FA, NGUS, to Battery "C", he reported to the U.S. Army's School of Fire at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, on March 15, 1918, for a ten weeks' tour of duty and graduated from this special course of instruction on May 29. While attending the Fire School at Ft. Sill, he was promoted to Captain, FA, and appointed Personnel Adjutant of the 137th Field Artillery stationed at Camp Shelby. On June 1, 1918, he became Regimental Adjutant of this same unit. With an advance detachment of the 38th Division, Captain Lewis B. Hershey embarked on the SSAquitania from New York for overseas duty with the American Expeditionary Forces in Europe on October 2, 1918. Disembarking at Southampton, England, on October 9, he sailed the next day to Le Havre, France, arriving there October 11, 1918.
Ordered to attend the French Artillery School at Mauron, Morbihan, France, his artillery training at this school was short-lived by the signing of the Armistice on November 11, ending the First World War.
Relieved from his assignment as Regimental Adjutant of the 137th Field Artillery on December 18, 1918, Captain Hershey was reassigned and appointed Transportation Officer in the Office of AEF Headquarters at Brest, France. Assisting in arranging return transportation of American troops to the United States, he was relieved from this assignment on September 21, 1919, returning to New York via the SS Von Steuben on September 29.
Reporting the following day to Camp Dix, New Jersey, he was ordered to Camp Pike, Arkansas, where on October 17, 1919, he was assigned Commanding Officer of Battery "C", 10th Field Artillery, 3rd Division, Army of the United States. This assignment was terminated on November 16 with his appointment as Commanding Officer of the Service Battery and Supply Office, 10th Field Artillery, where - he played on that unit's polo team.
On September 2, 1920, Captain Lewis B. Hershey, FA,NGUS, became Captain Lewis B. Hershey, FA, USA, RA (Serial Number 0-6530), having passed the examination and accepting a commission as an officer in the United States Army, which appointment became effective July 1, 1920, when he was twenty-seven years of age.
Appointed Commanding Officer of the Supply Office and Service Battery, 10th Field Artillery, 3rd Division, on October 17, 1921, his unit was now stationed at Camp Lewis, Washington, where he immediately renewed his activity as a member of the polo team during the years 1921-1922.
September 7, 1922, found Captain Hershey at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, where he was enrolled in a special instruction course at the Field Artillery School, from which he was graduated on June 23, 1923. Appointed Assistant Professor of Military Science and Tactics (APMST) at Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, on July 1, 1923, he served in this capacity until June 15, 1927. Commander of the Reserve Officers Training Corps Battery at Camp Knox, Kentucky, during the months of June and July 1924-1926, he reported for duty with the 1st Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery, at Ft. Bliss, Texas, on July 1, 1927, and was appointed Commanding Officer of Battery "A".
An accomplished rider on the 82nd Field Artillery's polo team, Captain Hershey was seriously injured through a glancing, misguided blow from a mallet during a match played on November 11, 1927. So severe was this injury that it led to a total loss of sight in his right eye and its subsequent removal for a plastic one.
Captain Hershey reported to the U.S. Army's Command and General Staff School at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas, on August 27, 1931. Upon completion of this course on June 4, 1933, he was immediately assigned as Quartermaster, Arkadelphia Sub-district, Citizens Conservation Corps (CCC) at Arkadelphia, Arkansas, until August of the same year.
Graduated from the Army War College in Washington, D.C., on June 20, 1934, he reported to the Hawaiian Islands for duty in the Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Supply (G-4), Army Headquarters, Hawaiian Department, Fort Shafter, on August 14, 1934, and was promoted to the rank of Major, FA, USA, RA, on July 1, 1935.
Enrolled at the University of Hawaii as a special student in September 1935, he continued his studies there until the following June at which time Hershey and his wife decided to take a trip around the world with their children.
Leaving Honolulu by ship, the Hershey family traveled to Japan, Korea, Manchuria, China (Peking, Shanghai and Hong Kong), Philippines, Singapore, India, Red Sea, Suez, and the Mediterranean; as well as to many European countries.
Sailing from Southampton, England, to New York in September 1936, the General reported for his assignment with the Personnel Branch (G-1), War Department, General, Staff, Washington; D.C., having also been appointed Secretary of the Joint Army and Navy Selective Service Committee.
Promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, FA, USA, RA, on August 7, 1940, he was transferred from the Office of the Army Chief of Staff to the Selective Service System on September 30, 1940, by order of the President of the United States, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Known universally as "Mr. Selective Service," Lewis B. Hershey's affiliation with this agency actually began on September 1, 1936, when as a Major, he became Secretary and executive Officer of the Joint Army and Navy Selective Service Committee. Established under authority of the National Defense Act, the committee was established to study and plan for manpower procurement in the event of national emergency.
Under Major Hershey's supervision, this committee drafted, and kept under constant study and revision, a proposed law ready for enactment. Varied problems of mobilization were studied with regulations and forms prepared, as well as plans developed for establishing a national Headquarters. The Joint Army and Navy Selective Service Committee originally had some 100 Reserve officers from the Army, Navy, and Marine Corps. Coming from all sections of the country, its members were chosen carefully with consideration given to their respective civilian backgrounds so that virtually all activities in civil life were represented.
Specialized training of these Reserve officers to serve as the nucleus, or cadre, of a Selective Service organization was initiated with their enrollment in correspondence courses and the completion of annual two-week regional conferences. The addition of members of National Guard state staffs and other Reserve officers later expanded this group to several hundred by 1940.
The last of such regional conferences was held at The Presidio in San Francisco in May 1940. A limited national emergency had been declared by President Roosevelt in September 1939, and while the 1940 San Francisco conference was taking place, he asked a joint session of Congress for huge appropriations to speed up urgently needed defenses. By this time, Germany was already pushing through the Low Countries and Congress began to open military appropriations purse strings liberally.
Within a few months, the international situation was so grave that most of the officers who had been trained were on active duty and engaged in execution of the plan on which they had been working under Major Hershey's guidance. By midsummer, the Joint Army and Navy Selective Service Committee had established a national headquarters" in Washington and had alerted all the groups which were to put the State plans in operation. As a result of this astute planning and foresight, when the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 was enacted on September 16, 1940,the nucleus of a nationwide organization was ready to function immediately. State headquarters, local boards and appeal boards also were subsequently established in accordance with the Act.
On the same day that President Roosevelt signed the measure, he issued a proclamation calling for the registration on October 16 of all male persons in the 'continental United States who had reached their twenty-first and had not yet reached their thirty-sixth birthday.
Under the now Lieutenant Colonel Hershey's supervision (having been promoted to this grade on August 7, 1940), more than 16,000,000 men were registered in the October 16 registration. It was this registration which set the wheels in motion that directly, or indirectly, were to bring into the Armed Forces approximately 16,000,000 men before expiration of the 1940 Act on March 31, 1947. Those individuals inducted directly through Selective Service local boards totaled more than 10,000,000, involving the registration and classification of some 40,000,000 men. In December 1941, a few days after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 was amended to meet wartime demands for military manpower and at the same time to insure that sufficient numbers of male citizens would be left at home to operate industry, as well as to protect the civilian economy and maintain the nation's social structure.
The Selective Service System was then expanded from the one formed in late 1940, finally reaching a peak of nearly 200,000 paid and unpaid personnel in its ranks. The System inducted as high as 406,000 men a month through its 6,442 local boards. All but about 20,000 of the 200,000 workers enrolled in the wartime System were unpaid, dedicated citizens consisting of local and appeal board members, medical advisers, government appeal agents, advisers to registrants, and reemployment agents.
Having served as Deputy Director since October 25, 1940, and promoted to the rank of Brigadier General on the same date, General Hershey was appointed Director of the Selective Service System on July 31, 1941,a position he held under six Presidents: Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, and Richard M. Nixon. The Secretary of War upon order of President Roosevelt promoted the National Director of Selective Service to the grade of Major General on April 16, 1942.
The Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 expired March 31, 1957. Congressional legislation enacted shortly before that date provided for the establishment of the Office of Selective Service Records. This agency had the responsibility of liquidating the Selective Service System and the preservation and maintenance of Selective Service records containing data for some 51,000,000 men. Exhaustive studies and detailed planning, which formed the basis for subsequent legislation and organization, were also accomplished by this agency with General Hershey appointed as its Director.
In early 1948, President Harry S. Truman sent a special message to Congress asking for reenactment of a Selective Service Law. It had been demonstrated the President said in effect, that the Armed Forces could not maintain themselves at a numerical strength consistent with national security through reliance on volunteer enlistments. Congress responded by passing the Selective Service Act of 1948 on June 24 of that year.
General Hershey was appointed draft chief of the new Selective Service System, and he immediately started the task of rebuilding the organization, patterned generally after the system under the 1940 Act. Groundwork for its rebuilding had actually begun even before enactment, and the number of World War II unpaid workers, who again volunteered their services under General Hershey's leadership, constituted more than 50 percent of the total number of those comprising the unpaid personnel.
General Hershey had succeeded in keeping the Selective Service System vibrant, despite a period of more than a year and a half of no inductions February 1949 to late August 1950 and under appropriations so .reduced that large numbers of local board offices were grouped in common quarters, with almost half of them having a clerk only one day a week or less.
Congress extended the Act. on July 9, 1950, and the Armed Forces soon began to call upon Selective Service for considerable numbers of men to meet the Korean crisis, which. had developed in June. First deliveries were made in August, and by January 1, 1951, more than 220,000 had been delivered. Calls were increased to 80,000 a month, staying at that level until April, with indications that they would be as high or higher, subsequently.
Throughout the years, Congressional committees have placed heavy reliance upon General Hershey's counsel in developing Selective Service legislation, including numerous amendments. "In the final analysis," the General pointed out, "it's Congress who makes the laws, and we have to live with them."
When he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General on June 23, 1956, the Selective Service System, which General Hershey had headed for nearly three decades, consisted of a nationwide network of more than 4,000 local boards, 119 appeal boards, and State headquarters in each of the 50 States, Canal Zone, District of Columbia, Guam, New York City, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands, with a National headquarters in Washington, D.C. "The unique nature of the Selective Service System's structure," emphasized the General, "is indeed significant when one realizes that local board members, as well as the membership of the appeal boards and the various advisory groups, are all serving without compensation. These people, 41,000 of them, voluntarily give of their time, knowledge, and experience without pay as a duty of citizenship, their only reward being the service they have rendered to their country."
In this regard, the nation's draft chief had constantly fought to protect the principle in the law entrusting a very large measure of autonomy to the local boards. He had consistently maintained that no really democratic and fair system of manpower procurement can be operated unless its roots are firmly grounded in the individual communities.
That General Hershey never veered from this conviction, is exemplified by his repeated declaration that a registrant's friends and neighbors are far better qualified to decide whether he should go into the Armed Forces-or fulfill the obligations involved in staying at home-than would be centralized authority with autocratic power to dictate individual action at the local level. Largely because of his championship of this principle, it has been embodied in all Selective Service legislation since 1940.
The Selective Service System has evolved over years of study, trial and error, consideration and correction. It is an organization whose dedicated efforts during three operations, 1917-18, 1940- 47, and 1948-69, have registered over 103 million men, inducted 16 million, and stimulated the recruitment of many millions more by the Armed Services. While providing the necessary men for military service, the system has also provided the required manpower for maintaining adequate industrial production and the preservation of the economic life of the nation.
And General Lewis Blaine Hershey, the Hoosier farm boy from Angola, Indiana, is largely responsible for this unparalleled achievement.
If one tried to single out, among the numerous philanthropic endeavors, which is closest to the humanitarian's heart, it is probably his long and dedicated involvement with the Boy Scouts program.
Board Chairman of the National Capital Area Council Boy Scouts of America, on which Board he served as a member since June 6, 1955, and having served six years as its President (1961- 1967), his inspiring leadership, exemplary influence and continuing interest in this movement were nothing short of phenomenal. His participation in Scouting was even more significant since the General was never a Boy Scout himself because, as he said, "We didn't have Boy Scout programs when I was a youngster." For his outstanding work associated with the Scouting program, General Hershey received the Silver 'Beaver Award in 1960, Silver Antelope Award in 1963, and the coveted Silver Buffalo Award on May 19, 1966, during the National Council's annual meeting held in Dallas, Texas.
Regarding some of his other national, state, regional, and local community activities the General said modestly, "I am more a have-doner." It is interesting to note just what this "have-doner" has done.
In the spring of 1968, he was elected Honorary Chairman of the Montgomery County Chapter of the American National Red Cross with headquarters at Silver Spring, Maryland, after having served as its working chairman for 16 years.
The countless honors bestowed upon General Hershey could well fill a book; however, some of the major ones include: Honorary Life Membership in the Angola Rotary Club, Angola, Indiana, on July 20, 1940; Distinguished Service Medal (Army) on January 21, 1946; Distinguished Service Medal (Navy) on May 3,1946; Life Membership in the National Guard Association of the United States on September 18, 1946; American Legion Distinguished Service Medal on October 2, 1946; Honorary Life Membership (nonresident) in the Army, Navy and Air Force Veterans in Canada and United States Association (ANAVICUS) on October 31, 1950; Alabama Distinguished Service Medal on January 5, 1951; Distinguished and Meritorious Service Certificate of the Regular Veterans Association of the United States on September 25, 1952; Certificate of Honorary Texas Citizenship on January 29, 1953; Annual Citation for 1953 by the Haim-Parnes Post No. 151, Jewish War Veterans of the United States on September 22, 1953; Distinguished Service Medal of the National Guard Association of the United States on October 21, 1954; Alabama Commendation Medal on February 6, 1957; Distinguished Service Award by Military Chaplains Association of the United States of America on April 25, 1957; George Washington Honor Medal (special freedom Leadership Award) by Valley Forge Freedom Foundation on February 22, 1958; Distinguished Service Medal and Citation of Louisiana on " February 20, 1961; Life Membership in Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 7205, Angola, Indiana, on' April 24, 1961; Distinguished Service Medal of Indiana on May 2, 1961; Medal of Merit of North Dakota on June 15, 1961; American Legion National Commander's Award on March 13, 1963; Magnolia Cross, State of Mississippi, on October 7, 1963; Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster to the Distinguished Service Medal of Alabama on January 11, 1964; President's Gold Medal, Association of the United States Army on November 17, 1964; Freedom Award of the Order of Lafayette on May 7, 1966; Bernard Baruch Award from Veterans of Foreign Wars on August 22, 1966; Distinguished Service Award, Military Order of the World Wars on October 28, 1966; Gold Good Citizenship Medal, Sons of the American Revolution on April 12, 1967; Gold Pin from Northeastern Lodge No. 210, Fremont, Indiana, on July 4, 1967; Service to Mankind Award, Sertoma Club of Washington, D.C. on April 20, 1968; Loyalty Day Award from the Department of District of Columbia, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, on May 1, 1968; and Silver Helmet Defense Award, AMVETS, on August 24, 1968.
Though not a complete list of the innumerable decorations and awards honoring General Lewis B. Hershey, in recognition of his untiring interest, effort and devotion rendered to these organizations and associations, it does reveal the high esteem they all have for this once dedicated civil servant.
Brother Hershey was introduced to Masonry early in life by his father Latta F. Hershey, who was affiliated with the York Rite Masons and was Master of Northeastern Lodge 210, Fremont, Indiana, in 1908, 1909, and 1912. Latta Hershey attended Grand Lodge in 1908 when the cornerstone of the Masonic Temple at Illinois and North Streets, Indianapolis, was laid. On May 24, 1909, the 15-year-old future General Hershey accompanied his father to Grand Lodge to witness the dedication of the new Temple. Brother Lewis Hershey was raised a Master Mason in Northeastern Lodge 210, Fremont, Indiana, in 1916. On July 4, 1967, Grand Master John L. Bloxsom presented Brother Hershey with the highest decoration Awarded by the Grand Lodge of Indiana, the Caleb B. Smith Medal of Honor. Brother Hershey was the fourth man to receive the award and, --the second member of a Steuben County Lodge to be thus honored.
Published 080514 Updated: August 12, 2014