Reuben H. Lloyd was born in Ireland in 1835. As a child he came to the United States with his mother and for a time lived in the state of Ohio. In 1853 he moved to San Francisco, where he spent the remainder of his life. He was an apt student and soon became proficient in the study of law. After serving for a time as chief clerk in the office of McDougall and Sharp, he was admitted as a partner. In 1860 the firm was reorganized as Sharp and Lloyd and continued until the death of Mr. Sharp. In 1875 the firm of LLoyd and Wood was established and achieved distinction throughout the country. His professional attainments gave Sir Knight Lloyd a high position in the California Courts and among the leaders of the profession.
His professional activities were so great that he never accepted positions of judicial trust or political honor. The only office he ever consented to hold was that of park commissioner, and the beautiful park, the pride of San Francisco, remains a monument to his ability and devotion. He was never married, but made his home with his widowed mother until his death.
The great earthquake of 1906 destroyed his home and business office. This great shock together with his arduous and prolonged efforts to render aid to his fellow citizens during this great catastrophe broke his strong constitution. Finally in 1908 he was forced to retire from his labors and on March 10, 1909, he passed away.
The funeral services, held in Albert Pike Memorial Temple, were under the auspices of California Commandery No. 1 of which he was a member. There was a large attendance of the leading citizens of San Francisco. The Masonic and Templar cortege was most imposing in its funeral array and all the stately solemnity of the ritual of the Order of the Temple was strictly and majestically maintained. He was buried in Laurel Hill Cemetery.
Sir Knight Lloyd was made a Master Mason in Oriental Lodge in San Francisco in 1873. In 1891 he was installed as Worshipful Master.
He was exalted in California Chapter in 1873. He always maintained a deep interest in Capitular Masonry but never held office in the Chapter.
He was a member of San Francisco Consistory No. 1 and attained the 33°.
He was created a Knight Templar in California Commandery No. 1 in San Francisco in January, 1874. He became Eminent Commander in 1881, serving two years. In 1881 he was elected Grand Junior Warden of the Grand Commandery of California and in 1886 was elected Grand Commander, holding that office for two years.
At the Triennial Conclave of the Grand Encampment held in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1886, he was elected Grand Senior Warden. In 1898 he was elected Grand Master.
His administration was distinguished for its wise, conservative and loyal adherence to the principles and practice of the Christian virtues. He brought to the office all his great legal acumen and skill, which enabled him to advance the cause of the Order with firmness and justice. In his address he stated words which would well be said now:
"The sphere of our usefulness is gradually enlarging. Our labors are but commencing. We must press onward until liberty and enlightenment shall illumine the world; until every land and every people shall have heard, and rejoiced at the fulfillment of the proclamation, made by the angels at the coming of Him whose followers we are, 'On Earth Peace, Good will toward men.'"
Reference: From Dr. Francis J. Scully's...History of the Grand Encampment, Chapter XXIII, Biographies Of The Grand Masters, as published in the Knight Templar Magazine